What is Post Surgical Rehabilitation?
Post surgical rehabilitation may be necessary for a variety of surgical procedures including orthopaedic, cardiac, thoracic, neurological and abdominal surgery. All types of surgery present with a number of post operative consequences which can be helped with physiotherapy.
- Orthopedic – pain, reduced strength, reduced range of movement, postural problems, swelling, balance and coordination problems
- Cardiac/thoracic – pain, reduced exercise levels, breathing difficulties, reduced mobility, postural problems
- Neurological – weakness, breathing difficulties, reduced mobility, muscle shortening, loss of sensation
- Abdominal – pain, breathing difficulties, continence problems, reduced mobility
Additional problems experienced following the surgery include infection, reduced lung function and deep vein thrombosis.
What are the benefits of Post Surgical Rehabilitation?
Physiotherapy after surgery should begin immediately in hospital, however it is important that once you have been discharged you continue physiotherapy to achieve the best possible recovery. Our physiotherapy team will encourage you to carry out a range of exercises to strengthen and mobilize any affected joints and muscles and this will also help to improve circulatory or respiratory problems that may have developed in hospital.
Other benefits include:
- Effective management of your pain
- Help you return to activities of daily living
- Strengthening of weak muscles
- Stretching of muscles that may have become stiff
- Help get you back to the level you were previously
- Improving your posture
- Regain your independence
- Reduce any anxiety that you may have and regain your confidence
- Mobilization exercises to improve circulation and range of movement
- Help clear any secretions, improve lung volumes and prevent chest infections
- Advise on effective positioning to increase comfort and reduce the risk of pressure sores
Who will benefit from Post Surgical Rehabilitation?
Anyone who has had surgery and who is experiencing pain, stiffness, reduced balance and coordination, muscle weakness, reduced mobility, low exercise tolerance and reduced independence will benefit from a rehabilitation programme when they have been discharged from hospital. Surgery can have both physical and psychological effects which may influence your recovery and cause frustration and anxiety. Our physiotherapist’s will carry out a full assessment and work with you to create short and long-term goals to help you to maximize your recovery potential and reduce any secondary problems to surgery.
If you have had surgery and would like to book an assessment with one of our physiotherapist’s then please call +91 915 497 7718 to make an appointment today. You can also make an appointment with us online at www.jivarehab.com today by using our online booking system.
Hi, this is a comment.
To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.